My life and times in Corporate America

My dealings with life at a corporate job straight out of college and fooling my employers into thinking I'm really smart. Rantings about my co-workers, work, and life in general.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

I Passed!!!

So I checked online today for my test score and I got an 86! Passing is 75, so I totally over shot it. I guess that means that I can slack off on studying even more for the next parts!
I was the happiest person this morning when I found out and told everyone I knew! I’m not really sure the mail girl or the maintenance guy really knew what a CPA was, but now they know that I passed something. You’d think I was done with the whole thing because of how I was acting. But I still have three more parts to go.

Honestly I am pretty shocked I did so well. I know most people like me always say that and end up doing well. But I left that test feeling drained and at the end, I didn’t even proofread my work because I was so sure it was in vain. And now I’m researching awards I could qualify for if I get the highest CPA score! I had been especially worried after researching on the internet a little more about pass rates. They are crazy low. My new goal is to be one of the 5% of people who pass all four parts on the first try. My next one is scheduled for February 12th. I found out my friend who also took the exam that day also passed. But she only got an 80. Ha. 80. I could get an 80 in my sleep.

My co-workers were very proud of me and my test results. The senior I’m working with told me to tell our boss. I was like “What, am I supposed to waltz into his office, interrupt whatever he’s doing and be like ‘Hey, listen up. I just passed part of my CPA that you probably didn’t even know I took. So when’s the parade?’” And when I made this comment out loud, the group I was talking to got very quiet. “Um, that’s kind of what I did when I passed.” One girl said. “Yeah, I sent an email to the Vice President.” Someone else said. Oh. I’m all about bragging about my accomplishments, but I find it a little silly to ask for a gold star of approval from the big boys upstairs over passing ¼ of a big test.

The office is starting to get quiet and cold this week, because everyone seems to be taking off for their Christmas vacations. One girl is getting married and will be gone for a month. Another is taking her two weeks vacation to just sit at home and chill. And then about 10 more are actually going somewhere for Christmas. So that means next week this department is going to be a ghost town. I am quite excited at the prospect. It’s always cool to be one of the few people in the office when the VP comes down to our floor for something and he’ll be like “Where’s Matt?” and I’ll be all “Oh, he’s on a three week vacation.” “Oh, where’s Pat?” “She’s at home.” “And Bill?” “He’s skiing I think.” And I’m there working away. Total bonus points.

So this weekend will be fun. I intend to go out and celebrate my 86. Anyone care to join me?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home