My life and times in Corporate America

My dealings with life at a corporate job straight out of college and fooling my employers into thinking I'm really smart. Rantings about my co-workers, work, and life in general.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

My New Digs

I started a new job within my company today. New boss, new people, totally new work. It’ll be cool. This big move, of course, involved the ceremonial moving of desks. I packed up all my personal belongings from my drawers, which surprisingly consisted of a lot of candy, bags of microwave popcorn, and hairbrushes, and carted my whole business life over to a new location.

People, I now have a window desk. Granted it’s a window overlooking ghetto east county, but it’s a friekin window. It’s natural light and it rocks.

An IT guy came to move my computer. I was so proud of myself, new job, new and better desk… then the IT guy goes “You look like you’re 16.” Then it was all put back in perspective. Great, I look like I’m 16 and I’m trying to feel important here. It’s a constant struggle with me.
But anyway, back to my new digs and my new job. I’m on the same floor so I can still be buddies with my old co-workers. In fact, they’re taking me out to lunch today to say goodbye. These type of lunches are the highly anticipated department lunches. I picked the place to go. It’s a Brazilian steak place where they bring by meat on a stick for as long as you can take it until you are so full you can just barely get up the strength to reach onto the table and flip over the little knob to red. Meaning, “I’m so done.” Then we proceed to all stumble back to the office, drunk off food, and spend the whole afternoon groaning and feeling incredibly full. It’s great. I’ve been preparing for days and started fasting last night. Seriously, it’s a culinary experience that you can’t take lightly.

Oh, wasn’t I going to talk about my new job? I got a little distracted by the prospect of food. My new job is cool and my department is younger and hipper. It’s more independent type of work, which I think I respond to better then being baby-sat by a boss. I’ll be traveling a little bit too, which I find kind of sexy. Taking a train somewhere to go do work always makes you feel important. I’ll keep you guys updated on my progress.

My new boss I call Mr. Yogurt because I can’t figure out how to pronounce his last name. I guess I should get on that since I’ll be working with him for a while.

I was sad because Yogurt asked me to skip out on a day of this conference I was supposed to go to next week. This conference is the coolest thing, and my old boss signed me up for it months ago. I went to it last year and while it’s two days of rather heavy, boring technical information, the best part is the food. Do I seem a little obsessed with food in this blog? Well, the people that do this conference know that it gets really boring. So there are bags of Skittles and candy and stuff on all the tables. After every break I switch tables to one with the most Skittles, so I’ll never run out. And every two hours, there’s a 30 minute break where they serve some kind of awesome food. The best one last year was the “chocolate parade” where everything was chocolate: chocolate milk, chocolate cookies, chocolate brownies… oh it was heavenly.

And at the end of day one, there’s a sponsored happy hour at the hotel bar. And you guys all know my parents raised me to never turn down a happy hour. So all in all the conference is pretty cool.

My new boss wants me to go work on something with him off-site, so I can’t go to day two of the kick ass conference.

If I miss the chocolate parade there will be words…

1 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Adam said...

I hope the words are, "Well...last time I woke up naked here..." bra ha ha, I had a blast when I was home...I'll see you again round thanksgiving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home