My life and times in Corporate America

My dealings with life at a corporate job straight out of college and fooling my employers into thinking I'm really smart. Rantings about my co-workers, work, and life in general.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

On Saturday I watched four hours of Sex & the City episodes with my friend. That can really start to mess with your mind. When I finally got back to my place, after talking my friend out of trying to find two other girls to go have cosmopolitans with, I turned on the TV and right there on Bravo was a re-airing of the golden globes and they were interviewing Sarah Jessica Parker on the red carpet. She has started to infiltrate my life. Get her out of here! Otherwise I’m going to start coming home from a night out, sitting down at my computer and starting to write things like “Later that night, I got to thinking about men, women, and relationships.”
On the last DVD of the last season, they have this cheesy montage from HBO where they interview all the cast and show slow motion clips of the show. The cast was all crying and saying how life altering the show was. They even played the song “memories” at one point. I almost barfed into my cosmo.

Today a temp started at work. Not in my department, but she working for another big wig whose office is right next to me. I call him inappropriate guy. His office is at the end of the hallway that everyone walks down and he’s strategically placed his desk so that he can look up and watch girls walk down the hall while pretending to be on a phone call. OK, well maybe he is on a phone call. But he’s also snuck up behind me at the water cooler a few too many times to say hi. And then there was that incredibly awkward time that I ran into him at brunch on a certain hungover Sunday where he overheard me saying I wasn’t wearing any underwear. But that story’s for another time.
The new temp girl looks about 18. I think the alternative to this job is working at Hot Dog on a Stick. She’s only here for a week and I hope it stays that way. Her whole job is to answer the phone when it rings. Literally, that’s her whole job. I heard inappropriate guy say to her “all I need you to do this week is answer the phone. Thanks.” Then he disappeared back into his office and went back to his stance of pretending to be on the phone. So this temp is just a warm body basically. And inappropriate guy isn’t even in the office that much, so her job could be better classified as a chair warmer. I kept hearing her answer the phone and it was hilarious. “Hello, inappropriate guy’s office, this is Tasha.” This would always be followed by one of the longest and most confused “Oooooh’s” I’ve ever heard, as though the person on the other end had just asked to her do calculus. “Oooooh. OK. Wait. OK. He’s not going to be back until 1.” She would always say “wait” when she answered every call, like she had to get her thoughts together. The friekin president of the company could have called and she’d be all “This is Tasha. OK. Wait.”
That is so unprofessional. OK. Wait. I need to get back to my game of spider solitaire. I mean work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home