My life and times in Corporate America

My dealings with life at a corporate job straight out of college and fooling my employers into thinking I'm really smart. Rantings about my co-workers, work, and life in general.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Headhunting

Well kids, a lot happened a few weeks ago that I’ve been dying to blog about. In a brief moment of inspiration and perhaps after reading too many Dilbert comic strips, I decided a few weeks ago to follow the advice of a co-worker and hire a headhunter. I felt the time had come to start exploring job options outside of my company. Also, I will be most likely be forced to move jobs in June, as a continuation of my rotation/management training program, and I’m none too happy about the prospects of where I’ll be headed.

So I met with the little headhunter, who ended up being the same age and me. We met on a Tuesday for coffee and I told him about my career goals. By the end of that day he had emailed me six job openings that fit my interests, and by the next Tuesday I was interviewing at a small company. I didn’t really take the interview seriously. I’m not unemployed and not desperate. It took me about five minutes to find the company’s front door, because it was so small. All I can really recall is that the office was 99% guys, and that the Assistant Controller spilled coffee down his shirt during our interview (this may be related to the former issue.. I don’t think they’ve seen many girls recently.) I interviewed with three different people and then went on my merry way back to work. A few hours later, my headhunter Bill called me. They wanted to make me an offer! I decided to high-ball the salary I asked from them, and they matched it. It was all very tempting and I went through a few days of mental torture, where I asked everyone I knew, including random people on the street, what they thought I should do.

I went back to get another tour of the office to help make my decision. This time I found a girl did indeed work there: the receptionist. After giving her a once over, I decided she was not going to be the kind of girl I could go get pedicures with on my lunch break. Strike one. And unless I wanted to make nice with all the nerdy boy software engineers, I had fears I would be eating a sack lunch in the bathroom alone for the next year. Strike two. The VP then took me back to the accounting department, AKA the dungeonous, windowless cave, with meek looking individuals shaking like chihuahuas who squinted up at me from their desks as though they hadn’t seen sunlight in a few days. Maybe I’m vain and naive, but I’m a girl. I like windows and sunlight. I don’t like wearing jeans to work. On Friday, I turned the job down.

So now I’m going to stick it out at my current job for a while longer, hopefully finish my CPA in the next few months, and then apply again to other, better fitting jobs. Luckily my headhunter was fairly understanding and I’ll probably use him again. So in the next few months Corporate Suzie might not be so Corporate and may be leaving the big corporate world, for a smaller corporate world. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, Blogger Alex said...

You don't like wearing jeans to work? Heathence, you are well placed. Never give a second thought to the nonprofit world. Or grad school for social science. These are the domains of people who love to wear nothing but dirty, ill-fitting, unbranded jeans to work.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

That's funny, because one of my basic tests of whether I'm going to like a job is how immediately after I start I can get away with wearing jeans. At one job, even though it was in a fancy high-security office with cubicles and all, I felt comfortable walking back from the locker room barefoot after playing soccer at lunch. And it was only like 75% guys.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home